Monday, October 06, 2008

Jesus the Magician




My grandmother says I am beyond help and that I lack faith. I usually scoff when she says this, because it usually comes up in an argument when the nightly news headlines a story about a group of habitual gullible religious simps, standing in front of a hospital, worshipping an image of Mary in a window. I tell her it's condensation in between the panes. She tells me I don't believe in anything. I wanna tell her that I pray every night for the world to wake the frak up. But I don't. Instead I let her mourn my supposed doomed soul, as I look on in disbelief at how life imitates art.

So, of course when I found the article regarding the bowl that was found, inscribed with the words, "DIA CHRSTOU O GOISTAIS," BY CHRIST THE MAGICIAN/ THE MAGICIAN BY CHRIST, I laughed. I laughed hard. Because all I could think about was the X-FILES episode, HOLLYWOOD A.D., in which Mulder stumbles on a bowl embedded with the voice of Christ, commanding Lazarus to rise from the dead.

So, now, here we have a bowl, of the exact same color, incribed with the text regarding the likelihood that Jesus was doing better in the desert than Chris Angel, and what have you got? Me...sceptical as ever. And no, I am not going to bother arguing with my grandmother about this one.

No comments: