Friday, September 05, 2008

Looking into the dark can get you into trouble...

That's what my grandmothers been saying since I was seven. That was the year I ran out of the house with my uncle Kevin, after he swore he saw something roaming the rooms on the third floor. Supposedly no one was there but us (My uncle, my cousin and me). Everyone else was at a wedding. The entire house was deserted 'cept for the kitchen, which is where we were when my uncle came dashing out of the living room like a bat out of hell, yelling, "Go outside. Hurry up! Go!"
Once we were outside, we looked up at the windows of the unoccupied 3rd floor just as the curtains rose and fell. Someone was watching us. We sat outside until my entire family returned. When my grandfather checked the third floor, no one was there. And that is when my grandmother turned to my uncle and said something to the effect of, "...looking into the dark can get you into trouble." It wasn't until I was much older and fully immersed in the world of the Esoteric that her words rang true. You go looking for ghosts, eventually they will find you. You go parading around the BLUE HILLs at night, looking for UFO's...eventually, you'll find something. You sit in your room in the dark, thinking about all the things that can live in that dark corner of your room that is just a little too dark...and something in the dark will be thinking about you too.
Some people dismiss this as superstition and the workings of an overactive imagination, but there are stories out there of people looking into the abyss and finding something looking back. I can't help but think that, unfortunately, this is the only way to get answers and that in the end, maybe all the mad people out there...maybe the ones who speak to invisible people and live in a world only they can see...maybe theyre the only ones who have seen what lives in the dark, and maybe their insanity should be a lesson for us all.
But it's not like any of us are listening.

No comments: