Saturday, October 17, 2009

They did the Mash...the Monster Mash...





I don't get out like I used to. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that the better half of my twenties was spent suffocating ( to this day large crowds freak me out). Or maybe it's more so the fact that it's really hard to find like-minded people. Which is why, every year at about this time I look forward to the MASS MONSTER MASH.

It's like a convention for super cool people who just so happen to like delving into the unknown. Because honestly, no matter what you may think about Ufologists, Cryptozoologists, Ghost hunters or just plain old enthusiasts of the Paranormal...they aren't your garden variety weirdos.

In fact, they are some of the finest, most intelligent people you will ever meet. Because what a lot of people fail to realize is it takes a certain amount of intelligence to try and comprehend the universe, its curiosities and the things that dwell therein. No idiots allowed. It's the lay of the land.

Tonight's MASS MONSTER MASH (or TRIPLE M, as I prefer to call it) was no exception. While Loren Coleman engaged us all in a trip through the life and times of Tom Slick, Nick Redfern had our attention at 'Chupacabra'. Jeff Belanger, humorous as always, enlightened us on White House ghosts. Matt Moniz spoke about the recent Bigfoot sightings in Massachusetts, while Christopher Balzano managed to scare the crap out of me with his presentation on Zombies and PukWudgies! (I think I am more afraid to go to bed tonight than I was when I saw 'Paranormal Activity'!)

The Hibernian Hall was packed and honestly, this year was far more interesting than the last. I found myself so engaged in the topics at hand that my best friend's iphone became our encyclopedia to the unknown. We spent the better half of the conference looking up data in reference to what the speakers were sharing with the world-at-large.


There were also great guests, who although weren't presenting, did not fail to round out the night with their knowledge and information. Derek Gunn was on hand with more great information on all of the unknown, untapped and just plain underappreciated archaeological mysteries around New England. Jeremy Vaeni (of Paratopia fame) and I talked about Ufology's unnerving need to never be second-guessed, with no small thanks to the people involved who fail to see the wheel turning.


I chatted with James Boyd (always a pleasure), signed up with the folks at BostonParanormal.org, and got to check out the awesome wares from believeittour.com, bigfootsurplus.com.


But the night would not have been complete with out Mr. John Horrigan, and Mr. Tim Binnall. Both personified the evening with their impeccable delivery, smooth execution of what was another great convention, the respect with which they handled both the guests and those in attendance, and mostly their friendship.


If I forgot anyone, or anything, it has less to do with my gratitude waning and more to do with the it being past midnight, because these days I have a mental curfew. Needless to say, I can't wait till next year!

1 comment:

Loren Coleman said...

I must share with your readership that you, the Yufologist on the scene, added energy, intelligence, and beauty to the event, with a grand display of an engaging series of questions at the end of the main event, which was continued, certainly in my case, at my table.

Keep it going and best of luck in your adventures!
Loren