Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Inception...

Last night I had a dream. I don't think the dream itself is important. Neither do I think the dream that I had the night before was important. But there was one element that has kept me on edge all day. Somehow, someone from my last dream made it into my other dream... and she knew it. In fact, she said to me, "Remember me? I was in your last dream." And this has NEVER happened before.

Actually, it has. But not like this. I have had dreams with recurring characters who had no idea they that they were recurring characters. I was always the only one who knew who was who and whether or not a dream was recurring or a continuation. This led me to believe that it was all a DREAM, as in, all in MY head. That the people in my dream were not real, actual living people. They were dream people. Figments of my imagination.

And now, I am not so sure. For someone in my dream to know they are a part of it to me just doesn't seem right. In fact, as a child when I came across repetitive themes and characters I was a sort of hero... an Alice or Dorothy, ushering them from dream to dream. They were always clueless. It was those experiences that led me to believe that Frank Baum, George McDonald and Lewis Carroll (to name a few) were aware of the worlds they wrote about because perhaps they had dreamed of them, not as dreams, but as alternate worlds with lost souls who were always unawares of their complete existence.

I started to write a book based on the dream world I thought these characters inhabited. And then I grew up. I moved away from haunted houses. Lost touch with friends who embraced the occult and I became a semblance of boring and normal.

And now, the people of the dreams are back. Or maybe I am just reading too much into it. The only way to know for sure is if she shows up again. What then?

4 comments:

Regan Lee said...

Like your post Tina; I've had dreams where people I know in "real" life said similar things, as well as people I don't know at all in real life say things like that. And I've also had a story idea not long ago about dreams --- something about those who dream and remember, vs. those who don't remember or think they dream at all...

Rich said...

Great story. What to make of it? I don't know since the world to me is like some sort of matrix world where everything/everyone does not actually exist ANYWHERE....more like sandcastles that no matter how complex or whatever...still just made of sand.

Only just imagine everything/everyone as some sort of coded reality. Every thought, action, leaf on a tree, grain of sand, and indeed every possible manifestation.

THE UNIVERSE (mindful or mindless) plays with sand.

Rich said...

Hey, I was gonna say THE UNIVERSE play with itself but...

Rich said...

Hey, I was gonna say THE UNIVERSE playS with itself but...