Friday, March 16, 2007

The Good, the bad and the Alien...




Okay, first off...I used to think aliens were good. I was about ten. I wanted to be an Astrobiologist. I begged my mother to send me to spacecamp and I devoured every physics, astronomy and UFO related book on the shelf. My passion perhaps was a bit naive but at the same time, having grownup experiencing bouts with the unknown, I was certain there was something 'out-there' to discover. But aliens were never evil. Until I grew up.

About the time I got into middle school, I started to see an alternative side to the peace loving grey and reptilian beings. They werent good at all. I was an avid armchair archaeologist, with a particular interest in MAYAN, AZTEC and INCAN peoples. I saw from their history that reptlians were monsters. That a race of reptilian gods manipulated the people into slaughtering their young for empty promises of rain in drought and food in famine.

What about old African lore? Frog-faced men eating the intestines of unsuspecting humans.

Is there a race of maneaters out there, floating in our orbit, licking their lips everytime one of us gets caught in their snare? Sounds like a B-movie plot, I know, but don't forget these stories are older than hollywood. Older than tv. Older than the written record.

(to be continued)

2 comments:

LesleyinNM said...

I worry about people who think all aliens are good. It just isn't common sense.
Just because they don't invade planet earth doesn't mean they are all good. I am sure they all have their own agenda, just as humans do.

Tina Sena said...

Hello Lesley,

I agree. People seem to have this belief that if they didnt blow up the planet then they are friendly. There could be a whole host of reasons why they wouldnt destroy the planet. One good one I can think of is that perhaps they live here...or want to live here...so maybe they want to save it for themselves. People ought to be really cautious of beings who have the power to destroy us in a heartbeat but dont because they can always hold that threat over our heads.

Tina